Friday, February 25, 2022

more hills

Cold, cloudy, windy, and damp during mid day in Sewanee.  36º   Went to the track to warmup, then to the hill at Roarks Cove.  I ran 100m repeats on the steepest part.  

 

Hoka trainers on

Stretches, drills, bands, 3 x 50m high knees

12 x 100m hill sprints @ 80%





I have decided definitively I'm out of indoor Nationals.  I haven't done any track work for 10 days now and I'm in strengthening and healing mode.   I will continue to train on hills and stair for as long as it takes before I can run completely painless on the track.  I can run ok on the level with a slight amount of pain but that is never going away til I give it time to heal.  I wish I had taken this route right after my injury, I had plenty of time to heal but I followed some advice that didn't work.... getting back to running asap.  Maybe ok for a muscle, but not a tendon.  

Without the killer long sprint intensive tempo sessions, I know I have lost fitness so I'll be beginning again when I'm ready.  I'm also up a lb or 2 since I've not been as strict about my diet since it'll be a long time before I compete again.  

With a major war breaking out in Ukraine, I'm increasingly skeptical about going to Finland for world championships.  They are on the Russian border and are not a member of NATO.  I may just aim instead for the US Nationals at the end of July.  I'd have the better part of 5 months to prepare.  

Personally, I think this war is going to be a bad one.  I feel bad for the 31 Ukraine athletes at the European Championships right now that can't go home, or may try to go home to defend their country.  From what I've seen, Ukrainians are very nationalistic and will NOT surrender.  This is going to be going on a long time, even after Russia installs a puppet government.  The insurgency will rise and be fueled by US and NATO covert assistance and will not relent, until they take back their country.  Dark times ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment