Saturday, February 19, 2022

stadium stairs

In Murfreesboro today.  Mid 40ºs and bright sun at the Dean Hayes track and Floyd Stadium at MTSU.  Plan was to run an 800m then do stadium stairs.  After a warmup,  I was surprised to still feel the injury, so I went to the stadium and did a hard stair workout.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100m

20 X stadium stair sprints

2 x 50m sled pushes 


This injury is weird.  I do just about anything but sprint.  I can run hills, bike, lift, etc... but not run sprints.  I'm planning to go out and try it again on Monday, and see how it feels.  If it's still a problem, I'll run hills.   

I've become dubious about Nationals at this point.  We'll see what time brings but I'm not going to go if I can't bring my A game.  Really upset since I've been thinking about this meet for 3 yrs since my knee surgery and now, it looks like it may not happen.  There is not a better place to run indoors than the Armory.   I've still not ruled it out, but if I keep injuring myself, the season is over.  I would like to race at least at Nationals this year end of July.  

This weekend brings the first European Masters Championships since 2019 and likely the end of my 17 month reign at #1 in the world in the M60 400m rankings.   It was good while it lasted.  Probably will be the longest run at world #1 in my career.  I wish I had logged a little faster 400m back in Dec.  I ran it quite conservatively.   58.75 should easily be surpassed in the European Championships.  I will be surprised if it holds up.  

It was just 10 days ago I ran a 60 sec 400m in trainers, and a rolling 12.79 100m.  If I can get that back in 2 weeks, maybe I'll have a shot at Nationals.  But, perhaps the more prudent choice would be to aim for returning to racing outdoor, later in the spring and looking ahead to Edmonton 2023 Indoor Worlds.  Just glad I can still train, run hills, strengthen and get conditioned.  






2 comments:

  1. Bill, the last I looked you were 1 of 24 men in the M60 400. Apparently you will run finals only. Do you agree with me that the 400 trials in the old days of nationals were a waste of time? The only problem I see is with those M60 entrants who have a dream that they can run 53.50 and enter that time.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Semis and finals certainly weed out the fake seeds, and fake seed times among Masters is an epidemic, as we see at every Nationals. There are fewer competitors at European Championships than signed up for Nationals, and they have semis and finals. I may not go, which will be good news to many in the M60 400m.

    ReplyDelete