Monday, February 21, 2022

Hills

 Cloudy, mid 50ºs in Sewanee.  Entering a wet cloudy period which will be followed by a cold blast toward the weekend.   

I'm about 90% sure I'll be cancelling Indoor Nationals.  I still have minor pain when I run on the flat, but I can run hills.  Dr. Allan's advice about training through some pain hasn't worked in 9 weeks, so time to change course.  No more running on the track until pain free.  No more aggressive rehab.  I'll do strengthening and cross train but nothing that affects the injury directly.   

Running hills is like running high knees.  The 'eccentric motion' of forward and back is shortened and it is more vertical.  This will be my go to workout til I can run pain free.  May cut it back to 2x week and go to the bike.  If I can get back to the track full scale in 2 or 3 weeks, maybe I'll be ready to race at Berry College in mid April.  Definitely don't want to push it.  Chronic injuries are season and career enders.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 50m

12 x 100m hill sprints @ 80% effort

It was a decent workout.   Fairly painless in regard to the injury.  The steeper the hill the less the stress on the injury, which seems like an oxymoron, but it's true.  I'm taking the steepest section of paved road I know of and it's where I'll be for a while.  

142 lbs after workout

-------------------------

European Masters Championships started today.  Looks like Mike V. will probably win since Benoit is out, (maybe injured like me?)  I fully expect Mike will surpass my WL 400m tomorrow in the final.  He ran 59.5 in his semi and is the only person in the world in addition to myself to break a minute in the M60 400m.  I'm sure John W. will win the 200m if he's healthy, and run under 26.  Never imagined my 26.3 would still be a WL at this point.  

Was happy to see Willie post a correction about his supposed M60 100m time of 11.70.  Everyone with any sense knew that was an error.  I feel bad for him since he apparently believed it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment