Saturday, September 11, 2021

Biking and prep for running

 I went 3 days without doing much of anything, Tues - Thurs, and Friday I biked up Roarkes cove Rd in 24 min, but prior to that, I went to the track and did a nominal track warmup of stretches, drills, and some high knee running and bleacher hops.  The pubalgia issue is still there but fading slowly.  I was fairly aggressive in my rehab band work but I think that has diminishing returns in healing so I'll probably do less of that and more prep for running.  The main type of running that stresses this injury is full stride sprinting, so hills, bleachers, and high knee drills are a good first step in prepping for running.  I must say, when one stops running, the specificity of tolerating that activity decreases and it is not easy to start again.  The bottom line is that the body adapts to the task.  My foot was sore from just doing a few drills because I hadn't done them in a while, but by the end of the warmup, was feeling fine.

I think the reason it takes so long to get past injuries like pubalgia and plantar fasciitis is that they affect dense tendons rather than softer muscle, and they affect such tendons at stress points - where they attach, so called 'proximal attachments.'  Rehab exercises and stretching has to be done carefully so as to not make the injury worse.  

I'm going to do the same thing tonight, a track warmup, drills, and then bike up Roarkes cove Rd, but I'm going to bring my bands for some resistance work tonight.  

My weight is good, although my body fat has increased slightly.  I'm 142.5 this morning and I've been eating a plant based diet for almost a month.  Mostly salads, sautéed vegetables, watermelon, lima beans, chick peas, nuts, a little chocolate, oat bran cereal, blueberries, occasional protein power mixed with skim milk and frozen into an 'ice cream',  and a lot of coffee.  I'm going for my blood work retake next week and it will prove whether my cholesterol raise was dietary, or due to my own body's production of it, since now I'm eating almost zero cholesterol.  My friend Gary, the heart surgeon recommended I get 3 additional tests (sed rate, lipoprotein A, and CRP) which will further assess my cardio vascular health, they are essentially inflammation markers.  My doctor said I may have to pay out of pocket for these since my insurance may not cover them, which I think is asinine.  

Incredible weather in TN.   There is a warming trend which will push temperatures into the 80's by Mon but it will be dry and cool at night, low 60s.  I'm planning to spend Monday night on the boat after I do the Raccoon Mtn bike climb with Bill M.   Next Thursday, I'm planning to run the MTSU stadium stairs.  I don't anticipate any serious interval training for quite a while yet, hopefully by next month, but I'll hopefully be doing foundation 800s within a few weeks.  




No comments:

Post a Comment