Thursday, January 2, 2020

Back to the weights

Coming off an almost unprecedented period of sedentary vacation, I hit the weight room tonight for a glute machine set

Stretches
 
glute machine:  
2x 225 w/ 350 lbs in 7 sets: 50, 5x35, 50x
It's been 2 days since my steroid shot and I must say, I feel like I have a new pair of feet.  They feel great.  I've stopped all aggressive therapies like vigorous massage and just have been doing light stretching, just in healing mode.   It's going to be hard to wait another 11 days or so before I try to run but I guess I'll get on the bike next week.  Unfortunately, the pool is closed until at least the 13th. 

I'm a little heavy, like 147-48, but I've been eating very well and small since returning from FL.  The next task will be to get my mind right and accustomed to the healthy pain of track interval suffering.  I'm going to want to be cranking some interval sets by the end of the month.

My cough is hanging on but better.  The weather is incredibly nasty, almost constant rain for 40 hrs, about 47º. 

4 comments:

  1. Have you considered a return to running with lower impact and lower intensity running. Extensive tempo like 10x100.8x200 etc on grass. For say 6 weeks before doing the faster stuff on the track. Then phase into reducing volume of the sessions and increasing intensity gradually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something like 8x200 with 2 mins rest. Then 6x200 with 3 mins recovery. Once you get to 4x200 and then are feeling OK do that on the track.Just a form of long to short. Use the early runs to feel your way back to running, develop aerobic fitness and run with good form. Your early efforts post knee op looked like an attempt at going eyeballs out with say 3 reps only in the track. Even if you take my approach for 2 months with say 2 runs per week that will only give you 10 runs in total. In which you are trying to overcome a knee op and pf steroid injection. Indicating how conservative you need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. 8 x 200 is a lot of volume. I'll have to work up to that. My feet are my limiting factor. We'll see how they hold up. I do like the idea of running slower, more volume, emphasis on form. I'll be easing into it cautiously.

    ReplyDelete