Thursday, June 5, 2014

Nashville Striders meet report

It was a really good outing and a shame it was just a hand timed meet.  Possibly my best triple ever.
100m - 11.81 (h)
200m - 24.79 (h)
400m - 55.32 (h)  
Taking 3 weeks off from competition and not over training helps.


Dan S. running the 3000m


Although it was hand timed, the meet had a USATF official observing and the timers were very experienced.   The guy who timed my 400m was Gary Perry, 1500m record holder at MTSU (oldest track record in the book - '77).   He told me he timed his son every weekend throughout the season and was never more than 0.20 off the FAT time, and usually just a tenth.  So, even with a standard correction, it was still mid 55s.   The brand new track at Rose Park certainly didn't hurt.

It was iffy that this meet would even happen since there were severe thunderstorms to the near west.   The track was wet and and it was warm and very humid, but not super hot.

100m
There was competition.  I had two post collegiate sprinters in my heat, late 20s.  They both beat me, but not by much.  The winning time was 11.61 (h).  I was nervous about running a 100m.  First one in 9 months.  I wrapped both thighs as a precaution and it went well.  Felt great, no signs of strain.

400m
I almost didn't run this race but I have had previous success running a 400m an hour after a 100m (SB in '11 55.54).  I think running a 100m race is a very good warmup for a 400m, so long as there is time in between, and no injury.   I had competition.  A college kid who claimed he had run 49 was on my inside.  I had lane 4.  He blew by me on the first turn and I thought 'this kid is the real deal...' until coming off the last turn, he started fading.  For a change, I really had something left for the last 100m.  I kept good form and caught the kid at 80m and passed him.  Wow, was he surprised.   We were significantly ahead of everyone else.  I knew it was fast because the race clock said 53-something with just over 10m to go.   Like every fast 400m I've ever run, didn't hurt as much as the poorly paced ones where I rig up.

200m
This was a fun race, a full heat.  I got to run with my buddy Randal (M65), Dave (M55), three high school girls, and a few others.  I love these mixed all comers meets.  I won my heat.  It was a decent race, probably low 25s in actuality.   (Last time I raced a girl was at the Mason Dixon Games, and wow she was fast, thankfully I won by a meter).

Well, this gives me confidence that I can get those TN and KY records weekend after next.   I really would like to lower my 56.09 M50 400m record in TN .   I'm healthy and going to try and not overdo the training this coming week.  Need some speed, but have to be careful and not strain something.

 Again, bummer this was not FAT... so I can't really claim it as a season best, except I will for the 400m.   Also, I wasn't exceptionally light for this meet, 142 lbs.  So, maybe a lb or 2 heavy or lighter doesn't mean that much.

2 comments:

  1. nice to see your wisdom increasing over time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....keep applying it.

    ReplyDelete