Saturday, June 14, 2014

Meet report: Bluegrass State Games 2014

Got it done - 3 new KY records: M50 100m, 200m, 400m.



I probably wouldn't have run this meet if it weren't my last chance to log some M50 records (since I'm considered 54 by meet rules).   With both quads strained, I taped with stretch tape under my tights, and a couple rounds of regular non flexible athletic tape over the injury points.   Considering, not at 100%, I fared pretty well.  It beat the crap out of me, but I survived without significant injury.

100m - 12.36 (old record: 12.56 -1985)
200m - 25.25 (old record: 25.89 - 1991)
400m - 56.16 (old record: 57.41 - 1991)

100M
The biggest bust was the 100m.   Since it was an all ages meet with so many heats, in an effort to speed the meet along and avoid false starts, the starter 'quick started' the races with a very short set time, probably less than a second.  I don't think I was even set.   Many of the college and HS sprinters complained about this.  The gun took me by surprise and I got a slow start.  Even worse, since I happened to be the 6th oldest guy in the event, I wound up running in the slowest heat with M55-M65s.   It was ridiculous, winning the heat by 40+ meters.   I know I can run faster.  Under the right conditions, I still think I can go under 12.  I just run so few 100s each year.

50m mark of the 100m race

Toward the finish in 100m

400M
Probably the day's best effort, it was exhausting, more so than most.  Unlike my 55.32h where I stayed fairly strong throughout, I ran out of gas in this one and lost some time at the end.  Still it was my second fastest FAT 400m this season, 56.16.  I had lane 5 and like all of the day's races, I never saw anyone.

200M
I felt like a 'walking wounded' before I started this one, got out ok and got the record.  It was ok, no PRs.

I will definitely have to get into the pool this week.  Won't be able to do much meaningful training this week, hopefully by Monday I can do something.  
Next week's meet will be a much better situation, if I can recover.   400m Saturday morning, 100m Saturday night, 200m Sunday morning.   


This was the last meet of this season I will attend with Roya, our 7th.   She is responsible for all these photos all season long - (most of which are actually video stills).  It has been so nice to share this with her.  Thank you sweetie.



No comments:

Post a Comment