Sunday, September 22, 2013

tempo endurance 400s

Back to the Sewanee track this Saturday evening on a cool blustery eve that finally cleared after a day of typical foggy mountain rain.  It was in the low 60sº at sunset.  The field area slightly littered from an afternoon football game played in thick fog.  As I trained, across the street a wedding band played a party with tunes like 'Satin Doll', 'Girl from Ipanema', etc... people dressed in formal black, while I ran shirtless.

Knowing these types of workouts are hard but really beneficial, it seems to take a lot of mental preparation to get it done.  In theory, running 5x400 with limited rest sounds like a great idea, but when the reality of the pain hits, it's hard to maintain the will.  I always try to one up myself from the previous workout, but today just couldn't do it, fell just slightly short.
Saucony Virrata trainers on 
500m warmup, stretches, drills 
5 x 400m with 2 min rest - 69, 70, 73, 75, 83
I will try the same workout on Monday and aim a little higher.  Trying to get all of these closer to 68. It would be NO problem, if I took more than the 2 minutes of rest.  But, that's where the suffering comes into play... not wanting to put out too much for fear of not being able to start another after just 2 min.

I was light after the workout, probably less than 140 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment