Sunday, September 1, 2013

slow death at steamy St. Andrews

I was running slow and struggling today, and wow did this quantity tempo endurance workout kick my ass.    Doing the 4 x 500m workout the way I used to do it  - with full rest and spikes - is a different animal than doing it with 3 min rest.

Up at 6am, I waited 2 hours for the rain to stop, fell back asleep, then jolted awake to the sound of lightning ripping through the air real close by.  I found a break in the rain and went.

I hit the track feeling sluggish and sore still from my strength workout Fri.   It was in the low 70sº and nearly 100% humidity at the St. Andrews Sewanee track.  The sun came out and steam started rising from the track.  O god, save me.

Saucony trainers on
 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 500m - 88, 95, 99, 99  - with 3 min rest between

What?  500s in 99?  I just ran a 78 500m less than 2 weeks ago.  I guess I should remember what Clyde Hart says, 'slow down and run faster.'    Despite the slow times, it was brutal.  My heart rate 172 at the end.  Maybe just a substandard effort.  Or, maybe because of the extreme humidity, my soreness, and my lack of carb intake.   Looks like I'm going to have to carb up a little before I do a workout like this again.    At least some gel or something.  Been livin' on fish, lettuce, fruits and nuts.  Down to 140.6 lbs after workout.   At least all my pants fit and I have some good definition with very low body fat.

Well, it looks like Sewanee Coughlin Track is set for a resurface in the coming weeks!  All the materials have arrived.   That means I'll have 2 new tracks to train on.   Unfortunately, the new Sewanee track will outline a new artificial turf field, which truly sucks.



No comments:

Post a Comment