Sunday, September 29, 2013

good season ender

I think I'm as fast as I ever was.  Now the question remains, can I improve?

55.78 - 400m
12.19 - 100m

Running these times on a poor track in gusty shifting winds was an accomplishment for me.  The Nashville District meet on Saturday was run on the Ravenwood HS track, a black track of a thin tartan surface over black top.  In places, the surface has been worn away and was ineptly repaired with roofing tar (not kidding), giving a sticky texture.

I had competition in the 100m.  Bob VF, suffering from a swollen achilles tendon, courageously ran without shoes or blocks, yet he still turned a 12.50 and I only beat him by 2 steps.   I think I can run faster but was definitely pushed.  The big victory was to race a 100m with no signs of strain or injury.  The '100m monkey' is finally off my back.  I still think I can go sub 12.

I had lane 3 in the 400m.    Was pretty relaxed through the 200m phase into a headwind, and recommitted about 240m.  Didn't feel quite as good as in Chattanooga 2 weeks ago coming up the stretch and was fighting that familiar 'rigging feeling' in the last 50m, so I was surprised I did as well as I did, shaving off exactly a second from my previous time.  Both times were under state meet records so I hope to produce when I have my last chance in June in this age group for these records.  I am technically '54' (age as of end of yr) for next state meet in June, even though I'll be really 53.  

Well, now I know it takes me a good 8 - 9 weeks to come back from time off.   I do believe my low body weight and the 2 a week tempo endurance workouts helped me peak at this final meet before indoor season starts in Dec.








2 comments: