Monday, September 2, 2013

Hair of the dog

Not exactly, but similar.  Back at St. Andrews tonight for a tempo endurance workout.  It was 73º and humid at sunset.  Not quite as oppressive as yesterday morning.

I did 4 x 400s at the with the same target pace as my 300s and the same 2 min rest.

400m warmup, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
4 x 400m - 68, 69, 75, 75  with 2 min rest between 
200m - 28

I wasn't able to sustain the pace beyond the second rep.  My target was 68.   I must admit a slight cheat ... took an extra 30 sec rest before my last 400, my pulse was about 150 when I started the last 400m, 170+ when I finished.  I rested and ran a quick 200m before calling it a day.   My ankle hurt on the last 200m.

It hurt but not as much as the Sunday morning workout.  I was a little heavier but better fueled today.  Ate some carbs last night.   141.8 after workout.



4 comments:

  1. These type of workouts will really increase aerobic capacity. Do not worry about speed in this workouts - better to start with higher heart rate, run slower, and really suffer. Other work outs should be specific for speed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to have fuel in the tank or you'll reach a point of diminishing return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Page knows suffering. Most people that are good athletes have suffered to get there.

    ReplyDelete