Friday, November 24, 2023

2x300, 150, 100 tempo

Cooler weather but with sun and no wind, it was good.  49º, mostly sunny, mostly calm winds.  I wanted to do my usual tempo set today, but cut it short after starting too fast.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 100m

100m - 15.50

Hoka Rocket X2s on

2 x 300m, 150m, 100m w/ 3 min rest - 47.40, 50.97, 25.05, 14.48

100m - 13.29


I bailed on my 3rd 300m, even after taking a real relaxed 2nd rep.  I knew I needed 52.4 to better my previous season best average so I knew halfway into my last rep it wasn't going to happen so I bailed and did another 100m on the 3 min rest.  I added another hard 100m after a rest.

141.2 lbs after workout.  

Blood glucose experiment - 
I test my blood glucose right after walking off the track, 30m later and 60m later.  Here are the readings:
1) right after workout - 175
2) 30m after - 135
3) 60m after - 85

Wow, no wonder I don't feel hungry immediately after a workout.

Had a rather controlled Thanksgiving dinner with my friend Scott and Pippa at his gathering at his place, 2 moderate plates of food, no carbs, no dessert.  Not too much damage.  

Because of weather, this weekend will be my last boat trip of the season and my last climbs up the mountain.  I was thinking I might bike up to the steepest part and measure out a 400m and do a couple reps running.   

Anyway, it should be interesting.   Fri and Sat look good but cool - high low 60ºs, Sunday - showers and Monday cold and clear.  May stay out til Monday and winterize that day.

My Thanksgiving group in Sewanee -  the guy on the right, Brandon, is Sewanee's national tennis champion, he's from S. Africa.  Hope everyone had a good one.



6 comments:

  1. Re pedals: you would benefit immensely from some flat Mtn bike pedals. You can find some relatively inexpensive pedals out there. https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/pedals/oneup-components-composite-flat-pedals-review/#:~:text=They%20run%20on%20chromoly,cartridge%20bearing%20to%20spin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best paired with a specific MTB shoe with special rubber sole and tread that works well the pedals traction pins. https://www.adidas.com/us/adidas-five-ten-freerider-mountain-bike-shoes/HP9939.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re blood sugar: you can use that data as baseline and modify your diet and when you eat to lower your blood sugar response to intense exercise. Most likely you are generating glucose from a process called gluconeogenesis which converts amino acids to blood glucose. So you basically are robbing Peter to pay Paul. The intense exercise effect is exaggerated if you are fasting so your current diet where you mainly eat in the evening will make this worse. Yes worse as constantly hitting in the 170’s is harmful as glucose is toxic to your cells. Eating a decent meal with healthy fats a few hours before will calm this effect. I have really lowered mine by avoiding training in a fasted state and eating a can of sardines or a big handful of pecans a hour or so before exercise. Eating carbs results in more glyconeogenesis, counter intuitively, at least for me from my CGM data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://blog.ultrahuman.com/blog/workout-spikes-exercise-induced-gluconeogenesis/

      Delete
    2. What about those studies that show HIIT's capacity to improve insulin action and hence glycemic control?

      Delete
  4. Re Blood Sugar : @William correct, there are numerous studies that show HIIT can improve insulin action. I would suggest a 170 spike for a short transient period during/just after an intense running session is of less significance than the benfits gained. Possibly analogous to someone with a resting heart rate of say 45 who spikes briefly at 160+ in training but actually has the low beneficial HR as a result of this type of training.

    ReplyDelete