Monday, December 13, 2021

first races

Started my 2022 campaign early this year at the Crossplex on Sunday.  Thinking back to last season, I didn't race until March, so this is early.   I was also in better shape when I started last March than right now.   

But, it was ok.. both my races, although substandard for me, were faster than the M60 Silver medalists at Nationals in Ames.   Just a training day to see where I am.

400m - 58.75

200m - 26.31

One first in this 400m 'race' was that it was really not a race, but a time trial.  This being mostly an AAU youth meet, there were no other masters running the 400m, so I was running alone... which I was very happy to do.  No one to interfere, starting in lane 5, the best lane.   Actually, I wish all indoor races where like this one, it was really a good opportunity.  I think there were only about 5 masters in this meet, 2 women and 3 men.   I really played it too conservatively on the first 200m, going out really easy in about 28ish or slightly less.   I did achieve my goal of breaking 59 the first time out, but was really hoping to break 58.  The kids sure gave me quite an ovation as I rounded the oval twice.  Many were surprised I ran as fast as I did, my time was typical of most of the 15-18 yr olds, except for the top medalists.  

The rolling schedule thing ... it's impossible to guess when I would race.  A list of events starting at 9am, and I'm 180 miles away.  I got there at 10:40 am thinking I would race around 11:30-12:30.   I think it was after 1:30 when I finally ran.  












Crossplex warmup track
I felt ok afterward so I decided to stay for the 200m, probably wasn't a great idea ...but since I was already there.  I ran in the last of 50+ heats of the 200m, the very last race of the meet, close to 4pm.  By this time there were very few kids there and I had the entire warmup track to myself.  

I was a bit stiff and with a sore foot and not a great lane (3), I raced a 19 yr old collegiate, and a 25 yr old post collegiate.  The 25 yr old ran 22 something.   I was able to get close with the 19 yr old who only ran 25.7, so I  was just 2 steps behind.   He was out in lane 6 and had the benefit of the downhill on the last stretch. 

Anyway, I may try it again next weekend before I take a break from competition til Jan.  Still have issues with my foot and some pubalgia soreness.  The new shoes were quite hard on the feet, both feet hurt afterward.  I've gone back to wearing inserts in my casual shoes and I may wear them when I train.  I'm just not quite yet able to put in the volume workouts I need and may include some turf running in the next month, as I did last year.  I may wait til after next weekend to post my results in the World Rankings.  Sunday's times would give me the early world lead for indoor season.  

I've been eating really well, mostly raw vegetables and fish.  However, I wasn't optimum weight for the meet, probably close to 142.  Still getting there.  

Great weather the next few days.  upper 50ºs - mid 60ºs next 4 days.  Probably bike today and do track Tue and Thurs.  

Life in the fast lane...






No comments:

Post a Comment