Thursday, December 23, 2021

cross training / rehab

 Back to cross training.  Since the weekend, I've biked up Roark's cove rd twice on the bike, and last night, went to the gym.  Was really trying to see what I can and can't do...  I did 2000m on the rower, resistance work with adductor, abductor, hip flexor, etc... The injury is improving but slowly.  I can do a supine brige with a lot less pain than a couple days ago. 

Dr. Allan says it's likely not severe since there was never any black n blue trauma visible.  However, going to get an MRI to assess.   I guess this is a 'good' time to be injured since I'm traveling to FL to visit parents.  I'll continue rehab there.  

Being unable to sprint for a while reminds me of what a privilege it is to do what I do at this age.   When training, especially on vacation, it's amazing how many aspects of my life it affects, not much else to do.  When I wake up, I check the weather, the rain potential, the wind direction, etc... I think, 'it's a north wind today so I'll be running from the 300m mark'... etc.    I plan my diet around races and training sessions.   On these days where it gets dark early, I train at the end of about a 16 hr fast.   On non running days, I plan a bike ride/climb and/or a gym or resistance session at home.  I check my weight when I get up and after workouts.   I was just about at race weight when I got injured, and after I got home, I thought... 'well, looks like I won't be racing for a while' ... then consumed toast w/ butter and tea... and also for the next few days.... something I wouldn't be eating if I knew I'd be racing in the next week or 2.  

Anyway, when I do get back to running, it'll be like starting over with the 800s and 600s.... and that's ok.  Dr. Allan says I'll be fine by Indoor Nationals.   Hell, if I'm gun-shy to sprint, I'll run the 400 and 800.  Probably be good for me.  Frankly, I think I could win the 400m with the time I ran first time out (58.75), and I know if I'm shape I can do better.   There also is the covid situation that could cancel it... but I think the most recent spike will be short lived.   A lot can change by March.

Very thankful to have several friends who are physicians who can pull strings for me when needed.   My friends Dr. Gary and Dr. Jeff both have set me up with MRIs on short notice before the end of the year which will save me a $500 deductible, to get it done this yr.  So, I have an appointment and a back up appointment.  Dr. Allan thinks it won't show much.  I'll follow up with a good orthopedist.  I have 2 highly recommended Drs. I'm considering seeing after I get the images and report.  

No comments:

Post a Comment