Tuesday, December 7, 2021

300m event run, 200s

 Cold, cloudy, 39º with a light N wind at the Sewanee track.  T-shirt weather.  At least it was dry and not too windy.  I brought my new spikes.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m

100m - 13.69

Nike Maxfly spikes on 

300m - 40.51 (25.65, 14.86)

Hoka trainers on

2 x 200m w/ 75 sec rest - 28.94, 30.16

I have 2 pairs of Maxflys, one I used last season in Toronto.  I have them set up for different races... the new ones, pyramids for the 400m, and the other... Xmas trees for the shorter races.   I hadn't yet run in the new pair yet so after 2 days on the shoe stretcher, I gave them a spin.

This has happened so many times, but I intended to run at 400m race pace... but I again underestimated my speed and went out pretty wicked fast.  It was a rolling start and the first 100m was 12.2.  I was shooting for 27, but the 200 split was 25.65, way too fast.  I was fading at the end of the 300m and no possible way could I have sustained a meaningful pace for another 100m in my present shape.  My 300m split at Nationals was about 41 low,  maybe even 41.5.   But hey, if I could go out in 40.5 and come in at 15.1 ... that's a World indoor record.  Not a chance anytime soon.  At this point of the season, I should be aiming for 27.5/ 30.5 ... 58.  Going out that fast this early would be a disaster.  Just so easy to underestimate that first 200, especially with these high performing spikes.  

The Maxflys felt good with the nylon socks on.  Once they get broken in, I'm hoping to wear them without socks since my heel seems to move around a bit more than I like with the slick nylon socks. Still need more form work.  I can tell my form isn't great when I spike myself in the calf like I did today.   Overall, I like the shoes.  


I put the trainers back on and ran 2 x 200m w/ 75 sec rest.  It confirmed I'm not in great shape.  It kicked my butt after that 300m.

But, I'm getting my race body back on.  140.9 lbs after workout.  

Have been cross training more.  Did 2 Roark's Cove bike climbs in 3 days - the last one in under 23 min, and a set of squats last night.   I still have a slight soreness from the pubalgia but it's not a problem.  Just need to do more resistance / band work on my off days.


No comments:

Post a Comment