Sunday, June 27, 2021

Still learning

 I should say ... still haven't learned how to run a 400m within my ability.  Yesterday, I went out a a risky fast pace into a strong headwind and rigged in the end about 30m+ out.  Finished in a disappointing 58.83, second slowest time of the season, which shows I'm vulnerable to failure and defeat if I don't get my mind right.   Also possible I may be a bit over trained.  I will try it again next weekend one last time before Nationals and this time, I'm determined to be more patient.  

So, the task for this week is strengthen, and learn to run a 400m.  That means running race pace 400s with a relaxed first 200m, 27-28, then all out on the last 200m with an emphasis on form and relaxation.   And, hitting the resistance training, at least a little everyday.  I've gotten away from the weight room and I need to up my game a bit.  Doing a little every morning, no heavy weights, just bands, and dumbell squats.  I'm generally healthy but with the normal small aches and pains.  

TN Sr. Games 

I'm getting pretty fed up with the unprofessionalism at these TN Sr Games meets.  

#1, they are expensive.  $75 to run one event in this meet.  I signed up for the 200 and 400 but asked well ahead of time  to change from the 200 to the 800 on Sunday so I could get more experience running the 800 and not risk injury in the 200.  They denied my request with the reasoning that I could be just jockeying for position to increase my chances of qualifying for National Sr Games...which is particularly insulting and stupid.  #1, I am undefeated in 10 yrs of Sr Games competition in all events I've ever entered,  and I wanted to change into an event, the 800m, where I would actually have some competition with Mark C. running.  #2, I don't give jackshit about the Nat'l  Senior Games which I've never entered.  Sr Games are the "minor leagues" in terms of track as compared to USATF Masters Nationals.  

#2, they had a professional timer that wanted to put me in lane one.  They ultimately had so many scratches I just choose my lane but when I asked the timer about it, he tried to guilt me into running in lane one because it was 'better for the other competitors' so 'they could feel like they were racing someone instead of having someone alway way out in front.'  He said, 'it's not about just you, Bill'.... WTF?    I told him any professional timer knows how to seed lanes... i.e. 4,5,3,6,2,7,1,8...  and I was just there to run against the clock.  I could care less about 'the competition.'  I was standing there with USATF official and long time friend Mike H. who was basically agreeing with everything I said.  But, again... it was a non issue because of so many scratches, but just his attitude and MO about this was stupid and unprofessional.  Not what you'd expect for an event you pay this much for.   It was just basically me and Mark in the race.  Mark finished second about 7 sec/ 40m behind me in about 66 sec, everyone else was 100m+ behind.   

#3, I've raced a lot of meets this year and the track at Brentwood HS used for Sr Games is the worst I've run on this season.  It's black and hard.  When it was new several yr ago, I did run 55.85 / 25.20 on this track, but now it's dry and hard, giving a clackity-clack sound when you run on it in spikes.  Brentwood Academy was so much better.  But Sr. Games could care less.  It's a racket.  They were likely getting it for free or cheap. 

So, just as well, I scratched today - Sunday.   Better off training anyway.  Back to it later today.  

Inspiration

I was really inspired by seeing my friend David K. qualify for the Olympics Sat. night in the 400mH.  I met this young man at a meet at Life U., in Marietta, GA last summer where we were running the 400m.  We've been in touch on FB sporadically throughout his time racing in Europe as a first yr pro.    This year, his season didn't start real well.  He finished last in a Diamond League meet, running over 50 and seemed visibly upset with himself.  However, he believed in himself and continued to work hard.   We've exchanged messages on FB all during the trials, I told him he's got a real shot at it after the semis, and he responded "I'm gonna go for it for sure" and "It felt really good."   In lane 4 in the final in the 400mH, he had Rai B. out in front of him in 5, who just missed the WR running at 46.83, and with someone that far ahead, it would be tempting to try and follow.  But no, he stuck to his race plan, he was patient and measured.  At the 200m mark he was mid-pack, and with 100m left he was tied for 5th.  But, he didn't panic, he kept his form, executed brilliantly, ran a very strong last 100m and finished third - punching his ticket to Tokyo with an all time personal best of 48.38, 8th best in the world.  Rai won with the 2nd fastest 400mH in history.... 46.83, just 0.05 off the WR.  I learned a lot just by watching him.  So happy for David.... 





No comments:

Post a Comment