Tuesday, June 2, 2020

800, 300s

If I recover ok from this workout, it could be a turning point of sorts.  I did some decent volume on the track, including the first 800 in a month, and a 300 faster than yesterday.

73º, dry and calm in Sewanee.  Air is filled with nature's perfume of magnolia and honeysuckle.   Had the track to myself for over an hour.  Was a little apprehensive about a volume workout but an 800 and then some, went just fine.  Nothing more than the usual minor aches. 

Hoka trainers on 
250m warmup, stretches, drills 
800m - 2:38.37 
2 x 300m - 43.62, 42.09

What a difference from last time.  I actually felt more like a long sprinter tonight.  I think the big difference was I was 2 lbs lighter tonight.  The 800m was no picnic, but I did it about even split.  The first 300m was just relaxed, surprised it was as fast as it was.  The second was hard, but relaxed - really focusing on long stride and it made a difference.  It was quite fast, 59 400m pace.  I did resistance yesterday and I think I felt a little more power today. 

Dropped some weight in the past 2 days.   Been eating really small and good.  Lunch was an apple and a half cup of almonds, dinner - two tins of pilchards (fish) and some raw broccoli.  This morning, I woke up at 148.5 lbs.... I looked and thought, 'are you kidding?' because I ate light yesterday.  It finally occurred to me that a lot of calories and weight is lost during deep sleep.  I only slept 4 hours but then took naps during the day and by the time I left for the track, I was 4 lbs lighter than when I woke up!   Weight after workout:  143.9  lbs

If my recovery goes ok after this workout, I may be able to do a 3x3 tempo set or a more over-distance or split intervals.  Pain awaits.  Happy to be running. 

2 comments: