Tuesday, May 5, 2020

800, 150s on turf / Hoka Clifton 6 review

Nice evening in Sewanee, 65º with clearing skies.  Tomorrow will be beginning a very cool week with some days only in the low 50ºs and overnight lows approaching freezing Friday night.  

I also tried out a new pair of Hoka Clifton 6s.  I'll post a brief review below.  
Hoka trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches drills 
800m - 2:35.8 (77, 78.8)
6 x 150m w/ 50 sec rest ~ 24-25
A good foundation workout, 1700m total work.  The 800m was hard as well as the turf intervals afterward.  

Tomorrow, I have my annual physical and blood work report in Murfreesboro, so I may stay to run the stadium stairs.  It'll be sunny and mid 50ºs tomorrow in the 'boro.  Then, I'll take 2 days off from track and ride the bike Thurs and do resistance. 

143.8 lbs after workout.  

Hoka Clifton 6 Review

I ordered a pair of Clifton 6's in 'wide' to see if they might offer better outer foot protection.  Overall, it is a good shoe, better than the Clifton 4 or 5.  However, the 'wide' version of my size does not have a wider sole, is just has a slightly wider toe box.  It 2mm wider than the Clifton 1s, but is 2mm narrower than the Clifton 3s.  They weighed in at about 8 oz., about the same or slightly lighter than the Clifton 3s.  The peculiar thing about this pair is that the left shoe was 4 grams heavier than the right shoe, just 1/7 oz, but odd for a new pair out of the box.  They seemed nice and soft but I really didn't like the wide version.  The large toe box would be great for walking or as a casual shoe, but not for sprint training.  I'm going to exchange them for a regular width version.  I'll reserve judgement til I get the regular widths, but my first impression is that it's very similar but not quite as good as the Clifton 3s, but may be more durable.  It seems a few millimeters narrower, but maybe a few grams lighter.  Definitely moving in the right direction.  Overall, it's no match for the original Clifton 1s (which I still have an unused pair of), which are a full oz lighter and soft.  The main flaw with Clifton 1s is durability, but I've extended the life of these shoes with the application of Shoe Goo liquid rubber.  Great stuff and cheap!



No comments:

Post a Comment