Saturday, July 9, 2016

event runs

Typical summer weather, low 80ºs and very humid in Sewanee.   Did a nice long warmup and ran 2 300m event runs from blocks in spikes in lane 4.  
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 80m striders 
Puma spikes on 
5 block starts from 400m start 
2 x 300m event runs - 40 (13, 13, 14)  40.7 (13.2, 13.1, 14.4)
The first one might have been actually a tad under 40, and I knew the second one wouldn't be as fast, but I stumbled a bit out of the blocks and that cost a few tenths.

The first 300 was good, I totally nailed my splits.  I think it was a pace that would bring 55s.  I hope I have enough 'hay in the barn.'  Feel as good and as fit as I've felt before any championship.   No physical issues.   Light - 141.0 lbs.   Been eating well, had a foot long turkey sub yesterday with extra meat.

Olympic Trials
Wow, 41 yr old Bernard Lagat pulls off a win in the 5K!  Justin Gatlin, who didn't look real strong in the 200m heats, pulled off a win holding off Lashawn from lane 8 in 19.75.  Lot's awesome young sprinters including Noah Lyles who broke a 30 yr old HS record, finishing in 20.09 in 4th, just missing the Olympic team.   The cruel thing about this sport is that some really great competitors who worked really long and hard missed getting on the team... including defending 110H champion Aries Merritt who was 4th by just 0.01 seconds ... a matter of inches.   I hope that Tyson Gay and Mike Rogers make it to Rio in the 4x100m relay pool.  I think they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment