Monday, August 11, 2014

vacation - hiking, weights, roadwork

Last night I ran on the road for the first time in forever.   2 miles in 13:52 (6:56/mile pace).   It has been finally typical summer weather, warm and humid, rainy.  Felt ok.   The new Saucony Ride trainers are pretty soft.

I did weights last Monday night in Sewanee and I found a way to get 280 lbs on the glute machine by putting big dumbbells on the stack (whole stack is just 150).   I could still do it 30x.

With all this glute work, still interesting that the hike out of Eagle Creek last Thurs. to Shuckstack in the Great Smoky Mtn National Park - 4 miles with a climb of 2500' - left my glutes sore... but in a different place - the upper glutes.   Every exercise has it's own specific muscle group I guess.  That's why it's good to do a variety.

Really feel out of shape and truly taking a vacation.   After meals, my weight is peaking over 150 lbs.   I do expect to work out at least 3x a week and hit the weights again tonight.   Also, stadium stairs this week.

There are a whole series of Senior games meets Aug - Oct., at least 5 or so I could run in, including the KY State Games which is FAT timed.  But, I do not feel enthusiastic about competing.  I need an off season and I'm interested in doing other things now.   I will probably do a few meets, maybe even run an 800m or something for exercise.  But I do need to compete in all the sprints so I can race in the TN State Meet next year.   These district meets will count me as M55.

No comments:

Post a Comment