Monday, February 24, 2014

tempo and speed again

Monday at KCD School, it was cold and windy, about 39º ... felt colder.   Just as I was about to start my workout, a Junior High track practice was starting.   I was surprised the coach apologized to me for getting in my way.   Heh, I thanked him for sharing his track.   If only I could treated that well at The Villages.  

A bit tight from a good resistance workout yesterday that involved a lot of glute work ... leaps and squats with weight, etc.... I toned it down a tad today.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
2 x 300m w/ 2min rest - 42.5, 45.5 
3 x 150m - 19.5, 19, 20
I didn't 'kill it' on the first 300m like Sat... but I took a bit less rest.   Tried to focus on form in my 150s but still didn't feel real smooth.  I noticed that I have a tendency to tighten my face and neck when I sprint, so I worked on relaxation, arm movement, and running inline.

Lane issues:  the Indoor 400
I was watching some indoor 400m race videos.   Having lane one is an absolute killer ...  as Kirani James found out in the 2012 World Indoor Championships... where he finished 5th ... from lane one.  Even the TV commentator mentioned, "the inside lane is an absolute killer".  That's the reason why they scrapped the 200m race from indoor world championships.  Inside lanes are at such a disadvantage.  At the break, outside lanes are running down a big hill, while the inside lanes are fighting a tight turn.

Also, 90% of the time, the guy who leads at the break will win or take 2nd.   Indoor 400m has it's issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment