Tuesday, September 10, 2024

4x100m tempo, 100, 60


Same as last time.  Not much different.  Still out of shape, about the same weight.  Felt hot in the sun,  86º, dry.  

Hoka trainers on

Stretches, drills, bands, 100m

Hoka rocket x2s on

100m on turf - 17

4x100m on turf w/ 30 sec rest ~ 17.5 avg

100m - 14.40

60m - 8.53

 

Still disappointing.  Can't run fast or far.  HR hit 180 after #3 of the tempo set so 5X was out.  I can't believe how slow I'm running but the foot isn't much better yet.  

144.2 lbs after workout.  If I'm able to lose 4 lbs, it will gets easier. 

Did nothing Wed-Sat, then on Sun, did a circuit of 5x10 burpees with a pushup and leap and some bicycle crunches.  Guess what was the sorest after?  My lats!  Surprised.  Not that many pushups but the lats were so sore today.  

Need to ramp up my cross training later this month.  Traveling this weekend to my home town so will not do much this weekend either.

On a side note.... our world changed on Monday when Roya was the victim of a corporate layoff, sudden and unjustified after 24 yrs of hard work for the ungrateful failing POS company, UPS.   4 days notice.  That's corporate America.  So glad not to be a part.  Really happy with my 15 hr/ 2 day per week low stress job at the college. Been playing more guitar lately, maybe work toward a performance.   Things could be worse.   One of my colleagues suffered a massive stroke while teaching this week.  Not a healthy individual, probably career ending and certainly life altering.  He's only 71.  I think blood vessels are like rubber tubing.  If you leave them sit long enough, they lose elasticity, dry rot and break.  If you stress them and stretch them routinely, they remain flexible, perhaps less likely to have ruptures, strokes, etc...  I think pushing to max HR for short duration a few times a week can be good in accomplishing CV health.  You can clearly see the 4 lbs of fat around my waist.  Not so good.  

 



 


6 comments:

  1. He probably had a ischemic stroke as they are far more common than a hemorrhagic stroke. If you have disease extremely hard exercise can trigger an event. Your risk is ignoring signs. For instance your heart rate data (high variability and poor HR recovery). One way devices give bad data is if there are arrhythmias. Arrhythmias show up as high variability with HR monitors. Certain types of arrhythmias increase stroke chances by 5 to 10 times. And Tommy had a rare type of stroke at a young age. If your device is right your HR response to exercise (or rest between exercise sessions) is abnormal. A zio monitor (2 week HR capture) would definitely answer the question. A ecg/stress would also be prudent . since Tommy had a stroke. There is no risks to those tests and they form a good baseline. Sorry to hear about Roya. In my industry intellectual property is a concern and they walk you immediately if you are chosen for a layoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother just finished a 2 week stint with a monitor and is awaiting data analysis.

      Delete
    2. I just finished one myself. 32 over night sometimes 40 during the daytime. High of 166 during exercise which matched my monitor. Stress test in October at the end of the test, at max HR they will do a echocardiogram to see how the heart functions during effort. I think they are going to recommend a pacemaker as I have some symptoms from the low HR ( dizziness). I will seek second opinion if they do as it is forever. Doesn’t affect athletics though.

      Delete
  2. I would not expect an athlete to reach near max hr on a sprint effort(s). If that was the case sprinters would train with more cardio work. Their normal focus is on pure speed, strength, plyos technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My personal experience is peak hr of about 135 on 60m repeat sprints. 145 on repeat 100m intervals. 152 on a 12min Cooper test. 160av on a 40min race. I hit peaks of 170 on the Cooper and the long run but that was on upward slopes. They also flat lined pretty consistently at close to the average.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My data just shows I have a naturally high HR and naturally poor V02max. That I already knew. It's a long process to get it back and I believe I have to work harder than most to get it, including lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete