Friday, August 11, 2023

Pre race day - Canadian Nationals - surprises

The first surprise was at 3 am on Thursday morning.  A horrendous thunderstorm hit with 60 mph winds  from the N (very unusual), knocked out power and topped a 100' poplar tree which just missed destroying my boat, by 2'.  The top 40' of the tree just grazed my boat, knocking it off the jack stand, breaking a teak rail at the corner, and ripping the mooring cover in numerous places.  I barely slept Wed night,  maybe 2-3 hrs max.   Instead of a recovery day on Thursday when I planned to leave in the morning for ATL, I spend 4-5 hrs on my feet with chainsaw, hauling wood, and tediously sewing canvas for hours.... but I got it done.  Then spent 4 hrs riding in a tow truck taking Roya's car to ATL which needed service.  The tow truck offered a punishing ride, could feel every bump.  

Had to get up at 5 this morning to drive through a driving rainstorm and beat ATL rush hour, park, and beat the huge lines at the airport, so Roya could get through security and attend an online meeting for work.  We got it done. 

Now in a relaxed Minneapolis airport watching a severe thunderstorm pass hopefully before we board in 45 min for Vancouver. 

The second surprise was the start list for tomorrow's 400m.   Seems like I have the fastest seed time in both the M55 and M60 age groups but they combined sections and I don't have a clue how I ended up in lane 2.  Fellow American M55 David G. seeded himself at 60, which is ridiculous because he can run 56 easily (having run 23.6 in the 200m M55 Nationals final), and he gets the choice lane 5 in my heat.  They put the next fastest M60 - Greg A. (seeded at 60.4) in another heat with much slower M65 guys.  Makes ZERO sense, really dumb.  The 400m is less than an hour after the 100m final.  Wondering if I should even run the 400m?  We'll see how I feel after the 100m.   

Anyway, just looking forward to seeing Whistler next week and having some fun running the 100m.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment