Monday, August 7, 2023

150s

Yesterday, did some easy running.  Nice weather, moist, temperatures falling to the low 70ºs by sunset, the track was wet.  Just did some low volume work.  A little conditioning, a little speed.  Roya joined me in a few runs.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, 100m, drills, bands, 100m

2x150m w/ 30 sec rest on turf - 23.80, 24.01

Adidas trainers on

150m - 20.13 (13.10, 7.03)

150m - 19.87 (12.84, 7.03)

50m - 6.57

The first set was more tiring than expected, but felt better after that.   The 150s in Adidas on the track were a little faster than 400m pace but slower than 200m pace.  Just working on form, relaxation.  I made some videos for analysis.  Seems like my left leg is more bowlegged than my right, if that is possible.  

On a masters track group, I was cited as a high cadence runner (fast turnover).  I was asked what exercises I do to increase turnover.  The truth is I don't do any.  The little amount of work I do on top end speed, leads me to believe that turnover is generally innate and has to do with fast twitch muscle, strength, and leg length.  They talk about 'cadence' which is strides per minute, (even if the race is well shorter than a minute).  My 'cadence' is about 234 (stride/min) in a 400m race and 270 at top end in a 100m race (4.5 strides / sec), which is on par with elite sprinters, of course elites have far more power and far greater stride length.  According to Dr. Steve Peters, there are 2 general types of sprinters: high knee lift and fast turnover.  Usain Bolt has a slower cadence than I do (257) but is a high knee lift runner, with much longer strides, longer legs.   Tyson Gay has both, a cadence of 281 and high knee lift, that's why he runs 9.69, although he is 6" shorter than Bolt.  Someone said that aging sprinters lose stride length before they lose turn over.   


A little heavier today after eating carbs at a Chinese buffet the other night.  140.6 lbs after workout.

Couples that sprint together stay together.  We're 62 and 63.  Sprinting makes you young.






3 comments:

  1. You guys are an inspiration, and look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures .... although, Roya appears to have a bit better extension.

    ReplyDelete