Thursday, July 7, 2022

Running in the World Final, but not racing

 I'm definitely not well enough to race for a medal today in the World Championship Final, and I had the worst possible lane draw, lane 8... which is inexplicable, being 6th fastest qualifier.  I

So, the plan is to just run easy, not get hurt, make it all the way around in last place and just enjoy the moment.  If I feel anything bad, I'll just walk it.  It's my birthday today and I want to celebrate by just being there, among the fastest men my age in the world.  I earned a spot in this Final, ahead of 10 semifinalists.  It actually feels good to have no pressure and no need to win a medal.

I did a therapy session last night starting with a warm bath, PT exercises with dumbells, sauna, light stretching, water running, rest, then 2nd set of PT.

Had a great day yesterday.  John and I spent the day hiking around the woods and went up in the old tower above my hotel.  We met another US athlete John, a distance runner from San Fran.  We then went to track and watched the 1500m finals.  Cheryl joined us and we went out to eat at a Lapland restaurant and had pike fish for dinner.  I got back about 7:30pm and commenced my recovery routine.  

It's definitely sore but really don't know what I can do until I warm up pre race.  The race isn't until 3:18 pm local time so I did another PT session this morning after a light breakfast: bath, weights, water running.

So, since I won't be running any relays, I'll have the next 2 days off to enjoy.  It was a pretty expensive trip, but I'm still glad I came, saw a different and beautiful part of the world, renewed friendships and made new ones with my elite athletic colleagues.  

Looking ahead to Nationals, I won't be doing any sprint races but I may still try the 800m if I can continue to train.  

Happy 62 


2 comments:

  1. Such a dignified response to a very difficult situation. Best wishes for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! You have a positive attitude to this situation. You made the final at the World's! Only 7 others can say that.

    ReplyDelete