Wednesday, July 6, 2022

In the Final, but a bit injured - WMAC World Masters Championships, 400m semis


I knew I was a bit vulnerable today.  There was torrential rain during warmups but it cleared up nicely for our heat.  Today, I felt more soreness before the race than the previous race.   I went out fairly hard but not ridiculous, probably 27.5ish, and about 120m from the end, felt that pain in the butt.  I broke stride for a few steps, assessed the situation for a few strides, didn't feel too much pain so decided to continue to the end, not pressing it.  I hit the straight and Mike and Shunji flew by me.  My last 400m was probably 17.5.   I finished a close fourth in 59.68 to Ulo who set his national age-group record for Estonia.  I'm astounded I beat 10 of the semi-finalists, despite my injury.


Mike V. won the heat, ran spectacularly today, becoming the first M60 to run under 57 besides me since 2019 in 56.62.  Should be a good race between him and John Friday.  To be clear, Mike would have won this heat even if I were not injured.  His time was faster than what I ran at Nationals and only my 2021 WL was faster.  

I've thought about it for a few hours now, and I've decided to go to the start line on Friday.  If I can't finish, so be it.   I'll run a very safe first 200m and see if I can get all the way around.  If I feel any pain, I'll just DNF.  It's ok.  It's my birthday and I'm going to at least start.  

Still happy to be here.  8 of these guys didn't make the final.  


2 comments:

  1. Best of luck, William. Thank you for sharing your journey. Steve from Fayetteville, GA (friend of Sean Burnett)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Bill.

    ReplyDelete