Saturday, July 16, 2022

Back to the track

First track workout in 17 days and it went well.  Was cautious and wasn't going to run faster than 800m pace, a 17 sec 100.  But I did.  A little.

Very warm in Sewanee at late afternoon.  85º with a heat index of 90º.   It really felt good to get out there and sweat a bit, and run comfortably.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100, bands

2 x 200m w/ 50 sec rest - 33.10, 31.90 

400m - 66.53  (31.74, 34.79)

300m - 47.74 (30.78, 16.96)

It felt fine, even my foot felt good.  Amazing what not running for a while can do.  Barely felt my injury.  Really didn't push it or really do any serious conditioning.  But, I now know I can comfortably run fast enough to train for the 800.  Too bad I didn't have more time, I would even try the 400m if I had a month to prepare.  Not in terrible shape.  

My injury felt different from previous tweaks.  I think it was not at the proximal attachment but further down, more toward the myotendinous junction.  Anyway, it's really healed considerably in the past week.  

For a while, I thought about giving up for the season.  I even bought potato chips... a sure sign of surrender.  But, I think I will be 'a reluctant middle distance runner' for the rest of the season.  I'll run the 800m and maybe my team's 4x400 relay at the end.  

Back under 140 finally.  139.8 lbs after workout.  Going to need to not do too much but definitely need those bitchin' 600m workouts.  I'm doing this because I think I can medal in the 800m at Nationals.  Competition is very similar to last year when I won Silver.  It's about the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment