Sunday, August 8, 2021

Nike Maxfly first test

I didn't plan on running today because of the late season aches and pains, nothing serious, just a slight left hip issue.   But, I got the new Nike Maxflys in.  I went to the track to try them out.  

In a nutshell, I give them a 1 for comfort, and a 9.5 for performance.  What am I going to do with these shoes?

I can wear them... they are tolerable.  They fit true to size in length but the forefoot without laces is ridiculously tight, more so with the left one for some reason.  I wonder if I just got an odd pair?  

Anyway, in an effort to make these work, I did buy a shoe stretcher, which I'll get on Tuesday.  Not sure how much these will give, having a nylon upper.  SO... why bother with shoes that are uncomfortable?

All I did today was run a 50m strider, about 70m on the turn, and finally... to get a metric, I tried a timed rolling 100m, with only a very brief and minimal warmup.   Well... the rolling 100m I ran in 12.41... without even trying.  The performance of these shoes seems undeniable.  I haven't tried them out of blocks yet but I will at some point.  

Problem:  on that 100m run, the shoes actually broke skin on my heel and little toe of my left foot.  I bought some blister pads.  Maybe I will have to wear these with liner socks.  I've never raced with socks because I don't want the shoes to move on my feet.  We'll see.  I'm pretty hell bent on trying to make these shoes work.  Hell, I have just 3 more races this season.  If they help me to a season PR, I don't care if they make my foot a bloody stump.  I'll only be wearing them for 95 seconds total in 3 sprints.   

These are outfitted with my risers and xmas tree spikes.  The 7 spike placement is slightly different from the 8 spike arrangement of the Pumas.  The most noticeable difference is that the front toe spikes are far closer to the front of the shoe, probably maximizing toe off.  

I haven't worn Nike spikes in ages, maybe they are just sized differently and these are just too small?  They're really pretty close to ok, certainly ok in length, so I'm hoping the shoe stretcher will do the job for the width.   When they become available again, I may try a size larger.   I spent a lot for these and won't give up on them easily.  Intend to wear them in Toronto.  



No comments:

Post a Comment