Saturday, August 4, 2018

Speed, low volume / high intensity

What has been missing from my workouts is max velocity.   Beautiful warm night, 75º I hit the new SAS track. 

After a warmup, I did short sprints to near full effort.  Instead of beep pacing with my timer, I timed all sprints with stopwatch.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 50m striders 
5 x 50m from 3 pt start - 6.93, 6.70, 6.81, 6.68, 6.65 
150m from blocks - 19.28  
Puma spikes on 
150m from blocks - 18.96 
2 x 30 from blocks  
40m from blocks
My goal it to get my 150m down to 18.5 from a block start at some point, that would be sub 25 pace for a 200m (assuming 6.3 for the last 50... The 18.96 I ran was at the end of the workout).  Last year I was running close to 18 flat with a 3 to 4 step flying start.  I found a way to use the stop watch while coming out of the blocks, operating it with my middle finger. 

This type of work is hard on the feet for me, especially wearing spikes.  I know it's been missing from my workouts and feel a bit sore.  It is risky running near full sprint in workouts but it's necessary if I'm going to be able to run 3 rounds of the 200m in Spain. 

What I need is speed reserve.  I need to be able to get out and run the first half of my 400m in 26 flat with as little effort as possible.  I haven't been able to do that except in the race in B'ham where I ran 56.6.  If I can get my 300m down to 39, I'd be in business. 

The thinking here is summed up in a quote that Ryan Banta uses in his book:
"The best endurance is speed reserve" - M. Hurst
I think that alternating the 2 x 300m w/ minimal rest (30-40 sec), with these high intensity workouts, just might be what I need to get faster.  I've been in the weight room every other day but may need at least a day or two a week of total rest if my feet are going to survive.

141.7 after workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment