Friday, December 15, 2017

tempo 200s +

Cold in Sewanee today, freezing.  By 2:00 pm the sun finally broke through and the wind died down a little, bringing up the temperature to 31º.  I hit the track about 2:40.  Still warm enough for t-shirt, shorts and gloves.  I did retreat to my car in between sets.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 200m w/ 1 min rest - 30.5, 32, 33, 35 
neg split 400m - 65.5 (33.5, 32)
The 200s were a total bitch, this was my first set of 4x200 w/ 1 min in quite some time.  Barely made it home on the last one.

I think doing lower volume workouts like this will be OK, about 1200m total volume.  This plantar issue is not getting worse although it's not getting better.  Rest didn't help it back in Sept.  I think the body has to adapt to the activity and it takes longer with age.  Bob Lida said something similar in an interview.  Tempo workouts are the most painful but they're over very fast.  My tempo 200s lasted less than 6 min.  It took me 15-20 min to recover before I could do anything else.  It's the best bang for the buck, but it's tough psychologically.  Torture, but it's over quickly.

144.5 lbs after workout.

I am now committed to racing at the Millrose with GPTC on Feb. 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment