Friday, March 31, 2017

split 400 / blocks

Another beautiful day in Sewanee, low 60º and mostly sunny, light breeze.   Feeling like I'm losing my fitness, I decided to do one hard rep and then just technical stuff.
Hoka trainers on 
500m warmup, stretches, drills 
split 400m - 300m - 41.8 / rest 60 sec / 100m - 14.3 
Puma spikes on 
4 x block starts 
3 x 100m from blocks - 13, 12.8, 12.7
Felt ok, but was worried a little about my right ham.  Feeling a little soreness which I always worry might be a sign of vulnerability.  Need to do some prehab to get ready for the Penn 100m.

After last year's indoor nationals, (a great meet for me - 55.22 / 24.65), I definitely peaked for that meet and then saw a decline that continued throughout April, til I finally took some time off in May.  Last yr I logged my best outdoor time immediately after Nationals, then went downhill.   The time I put in before Daegu was exceptional...   at one point, 9 of 10 days on the track, hills and gym work.  Not physically able to maintain that level for an extended period.

So, I'm going to run the 200m tomorrow in AL with low expectations.  Then, race in Huntsville Sat where I'll run one last 400m before Penn.  The following weekend in Sewanee will be my last college meet of the season and I'll run the 100m and 200m.   I've never raced a 100m in Sewanee and have only run one since that major injury running the 100m at Vandy 2 yrs ago.   After Sewanee, I have 2 weeks to get ready for Penn then I'm planning to take 2+ weeks off from running.

I'll begin training for outdoor Nationals and the WMA North/Central American and Caribbean Championships probably full scale by late May.

My body is a little beat but I love training in this cool spring weather on the mountain.   Only 61º today, and same for next week.

Tomorrow, in Huntsville, they ignored my seed time as thy apparently did with other unattached, so I got in a heat with a post collegiate pro that has run sub 21 in the 200m.  That's right... sub 21.  Kind of ridiculous.  The other 2 guys are a little closer to average collegiate, one has run 22.9 and the other a 11.7 100m.   So, why am I racing in this meet?  Good question.   Because I can.  

UPDATE:
They've moved me to lane 2 in the 400m with some slower guys in my heat.  There's a 54.8 guy in lane 3 so I'm considering running the 400m tomorrow.  Lane 2 isn't much better, but it's still 400 meters.  I'll have a look at the track and decide, see how I feel.



1 comment: