Thursday, June 9, 2016

Weigh in - masters athletes keeping their workouts secret?

I know there are regular readers of this blog.  I've been doing this for more than 5 years now.  I am completely self coached and my workouts are what I think works for me, and are sometimes unconventional.  For example, the 2x600, 2x400, 4x200 all with limited rest intervals just 11 days before indoor nationals was way more volume than masters 400 guys would do.  But it worked.

Recently, a couple of elite women masters told me their intention was to keep their workouts secret so as to 'not give their competitors an edge'.  One of them explained to me that it was her coaches desire, and I can surely see that if he were being paid for his workout program.  The other I think is self coached like myself.

I polled some elite masters on this subject... one responded that she would be happy to share workouts if asked, but to each his own.  One referred to the sharing of workouts on the Masters Milers FB page... where some share and some do not.

To me, I think it is an irrational fear that someone is going to beat you because they learned something about your training.

My workout regime is tough, I wouldn't wish it on anyone... and it's all come via trial and error.  A long to short approach.  There are plenty of workout grids out there, like those of Bill Collins, Clyde Hart, etc...  Why would someone think their workout was such a 'magic pill' that they wouldn't want to try and help others?  Seems odd to me.

I'd like to know your opinion on this subject, and if this blog has been a help to you.  Thanks.

I'll add more responses when I get them below.  I'm asking mostly world elite masters this question, national and world champions.

Comments UPDATED:

A world champion weighs in:
 "I think it is very childish, I believe in an open exchange as your blog supports and believe in a sport like ours where there are no monetary rewards, its nuts."
Another athlete (not track and field) comments:
 "I think they think way too much of themselves if they think it matters and would help others... now your [other] friend is being respectful of the relationship with her coach and I think that is ok. Coaches are by nature control freaks and if you have one, you pretty much need to buy in all the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment