Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Hills, resistance

Felt good today and wanted to do something, so I went out to the track, did a warm up and striders, then some hills.  Perfect 70º and dry at sunset.
Saucony trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 80m striders on grass 
6 x 200m hill sprints - 28-31
I paced this hill off, seems very close to 200m.  I just ordered a measuring wheel so I can be more definitive about my hill sprint distances.  I did use my timer this time.  Times seemed appropriate for a 200m hill.

Conditions for Saturday's meet look rough... mid 90ºs with the sun beating down.   I ordered a small sun shelter tent, hope it comes it on time.  An all ages meet, I could be out there for a while.  I have no idea what kind of shape I'm in, so anything sub 57 would be good for a first outing in a while.

I probably should take tomorrow off from the track but the weather has been so seductive, maybe I'll go and do event runs the next 2 days and take off Friday.

Blogging workouts
I was a bit taken aback when I asked an W50 female elite sprinter what her workout was, and she said, "Why do you want to know?" and "don't tell anybody... I don't want my competitors to get an edge."  Shheeesh... it's not that her workouts are even remarkable.  Hell, I've been blogging my workouts publicly for 5 YEARS.  If my workouts can help or inspire, great.... although some of these I wouldn't wish on anyone.  I've always wondered why female 400m masters don't seem to run 400s that are appropriate to their 200 times.  For example, some that regularly run 28s in the 200m are not breaking 66 in the 400.  Whats up with that?   I think most masters women have a lower pain tolerance for training for a race as brutal as the 400.  Frankly, I don't think most masters women are willing to work as hard as men.   Maybe that accounts for the discrepancy.  However, I have been known to overtrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment