Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Back to it

After 8 days off, I hit the track today for a brief speed endurance workout.  I was a bit tentative and was hoping I wouldn't aggravate the injury.   It was never really bad, but it's better, not 100% but ok.

At KCD School I hit the black track on a blustery 50º afternoon.   I got a good warmup and went for a cautious 400.  It felt ok so I cranked it up a bit after walking a 400m in between.
Saucony Virrata trainers on 
800m warmup, stretches, drills 
3 x 400m - 69, 65, 65
I really didn't think I'd do this well, considering my weight (estimate about 146 - 147) and the lost fitness.  I'm still not completely outta shape.  Maybe halfway.

I swear I learn something every time I run a 400m, even in a short training session.  I did come to realize that in that last 100m, relaxing and striding is faster and less tiring than bearing down and frantically trying to increase turnover.  Just shortens the stride and leads to rigging.

Reminiscing
I was thinking about the last days of my track career.   I think the last meet I ever went to was some all comers meet I went to with my brother and my dad was there.   I don't remember where it was.  Maybe downstate NY.   I remember running the 200 (220).  I was soooo out of shape, it was exhausting.  I remember being easily passed by a college guy who got out front and started looking around.  I felt sick and bored the rest of the day.   It left a bad impression in my mind.

I do have good memories of the indoor Sec. IV meet at Cornell when I won the 60, and our relay team won the 4x200.  I long to find those lost pics of the finish line and medal stand.  Someday.

Future
Busy with music right now.  Don't think I'll have a very active indoor season.  Don't think I'll do what I need to do to get in 400m shape, but I'll keep plugging.  I plan to race the 55 and 200m in Sewanee on 2/1 and 3/1.   Maybe by 3/1, I'll be ready for a 400m.  There is a possibility of a meet in AL on 2/14.   We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment