Saturday, December 29, 2012

workout cut short - injury

Here's a new one - a strain of the peroneus brevis tendon in the right foot near the attachment point on the metatarsal.   It's never happened before so I don't know how serious it is.  It may put me out of the meet next weekend.

Conditions were brutal at the Dean Hayes track today. At 3:40 pm, it was in the low 30ºs and snowing, with a brisk wind making it feel much colder.  There was standing water on the track and it was blustery dark and foreboding.  I still ran in short tights and long sleeve tech tee... putting the sweats back on after the rep.

I was halfway through a 4 x 500m workout when I felt something on the outside edge of my right foot on the homestretch of my second 500m.   I thought I had stepped on something.  After crossing the line, the right foot began to hurt and I hobbled along wondering WTF?

Why did it happen?  I think it was weakened by slight ankle sprains while hiking.  And... probably because I neglected my calf stretches and have not been doing calf raises or stairs lately.   Really sucks.
800m warmup, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
2 x 500m - 83.5, 84

It felt good while it lasted.  Bad day.   Will know more by Monday.  I'm dubious, it hurts to walk, I don't expect to sprint anytime soon.   I have a few days to decide whether or not to register for the 1/5 meet.  It's expensive... $43 - even for one event.


No comments:

Post a Comment