Monday, May 2, 2011

Why does Nike not support their product? Quest for the sprint shoe risers.


UPDATE: Confirmed - Nike does not support their product and customers
--------------
Plastic crowns - also called risers - are supplied with any purchase of Nike Ja or Nike R3 Superfly sprint shoes. These are designed to give the sprinter a bit more lift and a more aggressive footstrike. These are also popular with hurdlers. The Omni-lite spike company even makes "X-T" spikes with longer threads specifically for use with riser crowns. Risers are nothing new. In high school, my Adidas Adistar 2000's came with risers and that was (a ... ughmm) 34 yrs ago.

On a Mondo or rubber track, these risers with 7mm Christmas tree spikes are really the ticket. But... the risers are so fragile, they easily break. Every race I break two, the back outside one on each shoe, right under the little toe where the foot first strikes. Running turns, the outside crown was gone after my last 200m race and the other, damaged. The other crowns are ok, not damaged at all. I've even tried dipping the crowns in epoxy to harden them. No cigar. They still break. Maybe a harder epoxy? Ideally maybe I could fashion an aluminum one myself for the crowns that usually break. They are about dime-sized in diameter and a half inch tall.

Problem: After two calls to the Nike Co., they could not help me. They had NO CLUE about how to get these crowns. They suggested several retail stores. I emailed every one of them and thankfully, two of these stores (which will remain unnamed) came through. I bought two complete sets - 32 crowns total - that's enough for just 16 races assuming the same rate of breakage. With 2 events a meet, that's just 8 track meets.

As I continue to break these, I emailed both of my suppliers to get an additional set. One said they didn't have anymore and one complied and sent them to me free with just $6.95 charge for shipping. Great!!! I should be set for all of the rest of the season and maybe most of next.

Question: Why does Nike not stand behind their products and supply these accessories? I am not the only one looking to purchase these accessories. Hmmm.....
Well, I'm ok now ... and I'm not giving up my source. If you're looking for these, sorry ... you're on your own.

UPDATE:
After a third contact with Nike, they claimed these crowns are made by Omni-Lite. I contacted Omni-Lite and told me they don't make them. I was called personally by the Nike rep to tell me they would find the manufacturer of these.

The mystery continues....


3 comments:

  1. Its Extraordinary that Nike have adopted this stance. I too am looking for replacemewnt risers and making little headway. Anyone got any suggestion before I ditch Nike from my list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nike does have these in a "blister pack" that includes XT christmas tree spikes and a wrench. the style # is 70062-00. I ordered them by calling Nike directly.

    BTW... you are a "dick" for posting this but not providing your source when you did find these...what was the point of posting if you're not willing to help others with the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I contacted Nike, they have no record of style # 70062-00 nor do they suggest any tangible means of getting these risers.

    ReplyDelete