Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thurs. - on the track and an equipment experiment

Today I did a conservative workout and my quad felt a little vulnerable so I cut it short.

800m warmup and drills

spikes on

2 x 100m - 13.5 sec out of the blocks
200m - 29 sec
50m - from blocks

Plyometric jumps and lunges

Later, I think I do a set of resitance work just to strengthen the quad for extra measure.

My after-dinner weight is a nominal 139.8. I should have no problem purging down to 137 or less by race time Sat.

Ok... the weird experiment.

I thought.. how would it feel to run on extra long spike risers. So, I built up 6 risers with epoxy to about 3/4" and put 3 on each shoe. Actually, running at full stride, they felt great. I felt like I was running taller. The only drawn back was that the riser on the toe caused an awkward step out of the blocks. So if these were ever used, they'd best work along the ball of the foot only with shorter risers on the toe. Even this Marine-Tex epoxy didn't hold up well. If I were to try this again, I would use a steel or aluminum epoxy putty. Interesting feeling though. Unfortunately, I wasted 6 precious risers. But I still have 40 left.




No comments:

Post a Comment