Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Dr. visit, long swim, police

I prepared a lot for the Dr's visit and it was pretty short and inconsequential.  Drove 95 min, he was nearly 90 min late, had to cancel my blood work appt.  He spent maybe 10 min with me.  Despite coming with pre and post op MRI reports, surgical report, laptop with images, he blew all that off and I had to get radiated again with their Xrays.  The ones I had from just weeks ago, they couldn't download.  

The only thing he looked at was the surgical report, he commented that "Justin's work is amazing" and this repair was far more involved than the LaPrade repair on my right, which I knew, but he emphasized it.  He said I had some arthritis and due to my bow legged alignment / running form, running L turns, etc... my medial side is susceptible and he showed me xrays that showed 1/2 the joint space on the medial vs the lateral knee compartment.   It was still not bone on bone.  Bottom line, he thinks there is a chance to recover the knee with the goal of limited running, and seemed more than happy to do injections as needed, which I would only do as last resort.   I got measured for an offloader brace which will help recovery.  He seemed to think that biking, rowing, and weights were ok.  I'm not so sure, but will return to seated only biking.  Generally, not a great impression, and a guy I will likely not see again. 

So, I got home after meeting with a contractor at my house and took a brief nap.  Got on the motorcycle and went to the lake.   Just as I crossed the lake, I looked back to the opposite shore and saw 3 police trucks and a small swarm of uniformed police standing around my motorcycle.  I took off and swam a half mile down the lake.  Back stroke, I can swim forever.  When I was out of sight, I came ashore and and walked to the near shore opposite of the bank where I parked.  I was thinking they'd just get tired of waiting and leave.  They didn't leave.  I reasoned that I'd better not keep them waiting any longer and swam back to face the music.  

Well, it went ok.  I just had happened to go around the gate when Nate the forestry chief was driving by.  Just bad luck.   He was there with a couple cops.   The old cop gave me a stern warning and asserted the strict no motor vehicle policy on Sewanee protected areas.    I told them I had been doing this for more than a decade and several times just this past week, and I how I've cleaned up this place and picked up garbage.  It was fine.  No citation.   I could have been cited for multiple things - bike hasn't been registered in 6 yrs, uninsured, violation of protected property, etc... since it's a small friendly town, we just chatted.... about how great this place is, about motorcycles, E-bikes, etc... Nate knew my name and that I'm a professor.  This is really the end of an era, I've been doing this more than a decade without any issues.  It is literally the only place I ever go with my motorcycles.  So it's quite significant.   I wish I had thought to have gotten a group photo before I drove off.   They did bring up an interesting issue... very gray area between an electric motorcycle and an electric bike.  (E-bikes are ok on trail but must be below a certain wattage)




No comments:

Post a Comment