Sunday, July 9, 2023

4x300m tempo

Today, I was feeling the track fatigue as it occurred to me that this was the 9th of the last 10 days I've been on the track.  Was thinking I may have screwed myself up by training yesterday since today is a hard day in my training cycle.  But, I got it done and in a season's best avg for a 4x3.  It was a monumental effort both mentally and physically.  But I left feeling good and not beat up.  

Noting this should be one of my last hard volume workouts of the season, I was debating on overdistance or intensive tempo.  The problem with over distance is that it takes so long to recover from a 500 that all I could do is perhaps one hard split interval because if there is too much time in between sets, my foot starts hurting and I get tight.  So, I went with the ball buster 4x3... knowing that this may be the last time this season I'd do this workout.  I in no way thought I'd be able to 'one-up' myself from last Sunday's best, but I did.  

First one was clunky, and the second one was better.  Third one was questionable whether I could recover enough to do a 4th.   But I kept thinking 'last time'  ... 'just one more.'   The last 100m of #4 was seriously hard to hang on and not quit.  I was on the ground for about 90 sec afterward and I then took my pulse.  It was at 160, two min after completing the set.  Wonder what it was at max?

I've decided to really respect my off days from now until Nationals.   I will be off Mon, Wed, Fri, this week.  Hope to continue some strength and band work on those days.   Race Sat, train Sunday, Tues leave Wed July 19 for Nat'ls.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, 100m, bands, drills

4 x 300m w/ 3min rest - 48.07, 47.81, 49.23, 52.10 (avg - 49.30)

139.5 lbs after workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment