Friday, July 21, 2023

2023 USATF Masters Outdoor National Championships - Day 2

Well, I got the Bronze today in the 400m and I achieved my goal with a big season's best.  57.59

The competition was astounding, especially considering this event was won last yr in 58.12.   These M60 times were definitely worthy of a World Championship event, my time of 57.59 would have medaled at the World Championships in the M60 400m in Spain, '18.   James L. ran 55.96, fastest M60 400m by an American in at least 11 yrs.  His splits were amazing: 27.4, 28.6.    His time is now #1 in the World M60 outdoor, Ron ran 56.77 - #3 in World, and my time moves me up to #6 in the World, for the time being.  James is now the 2nd fastest M60 400m sprinter since the pandemic in '20, and I'm #3 with my 56.23 in '21.  (World Champion John Wright #1).  M60 was the most competitive group in terms of turnout, the only age group to have 3 heats of semis.

It's like I have to learn this race anew every season.  It was really just a slight adjustment in pacing.  It was the most even split 400m race I've ever run, splits were something like 28.1/ 29.5.  The weird thing was is that my 300m split was almost exactly what it was yesterday, maybe 0.1 slower.  But, my last 100m was much improved, around 15.8.  It felt considerably easier than my previous races this season, telling me that maybe there was more in the tank.  A lot of it was just conserving energy down the backstretch, where James ate me alive. 

So, my splits for this race:

14.1, 14, 13.7, 15.8 / 28.1, 29.5 / 41.8, 15.8

James is the typical 400m runner, real tall, beautiful flowing stride.  He's probably 6'4".   He's likely faster in the 200m than last year when he ran 26 flat at Nationals.  His legs seem to come up to my chest.  Ron is the exact opposite, he's a fast turnover short stride guy.  What is astounding (and suspicious to some) is his dramatic improvement this year.  He won Nationals in last yr in 58.12 and is running faster now than he was 2 years ago.  Not casting aspersions, but I have not seen USADA at all at this meet.  They are supposed to be here.  

There were some amazing 100m performances today but the wind negated a few records.   Allan T., for the second time, had his 11.81 American record nixed by the wind +2.2.  Garth R. M52 tied Willie Gault's WR in 10.88, again too much wind.  However, Andrea and Emma both ran under the American record with 13.12 and 13.15 and the wind was legal at +1.4.   

So, tomorrow, I have the 200m semis and my club 4x100m relay.  The same guys I'll be facing in the 200m + those sprinters coming up from the 100m.  

Here's a shot from our GPTC team dinner tonight...



7 comments:

  1. James L may be tall, but nothing else about him looks athletic. Just looks like an old guy with skinny legs and barrel body. But the engine on the inside works well. Just goes to show can’t judge a book by its cover and there is probably a lot of talent out there on the sidelines, doing something else than track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen my heat of the 200m semis. Tall, strong, fit looking black men, one from Trinidad... they 'looked' fast. Watch them run: https://youtu.be/kPzUgfxB4-c

      Delete
    2. If you saw James run, you would not say he 'does not look athletic.' I think the guy in lane 2 looks very athletic and he's also 6'4". James beat him by 25m. There has only been 3 people in history age 62+ that have run 400m faster than James. It is an extremely rare and unnatural act and does not come with a common basic athleticism. No one on this level does this without training for it. BTW, I've raced numerous guys who were elite back in the day, including 3 Olympians. In their 60s, they aren't any faster than I am. Ask LJ WR holder Mike Powell, he's my age and has tried to compete in masters numerous times. He's been injured every time he's tried. Sprinting and jumping is a violent activity for a 60+ body, and it does become a game of attrition at this age.

      Delete
  2. Nice video. For sure James L would look athletic running of course I just see a static pic. Yes sports performance in older masters is clearly a large part how the body ages or how it can adapt to training at age. Another thing to consider about the former world class guys is psychologically they probably will not be driven in older age as they satisfied their goals in their heyday. I remember you saying in 11th grade that at regional meets “there are always 5 black guys in front of me”. So maybe if you had the national results then as you have now you wouldn’t have picked up master’s track again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also that former elites do not want to tarnish their reputations as athletes with a chance they would not be so elite in old age. I'm sure if Carl Lewis trained, he would be an elite masters, and many like him who have stayed fit. There was a local female college track coach my age who was an Olympic medalist sprinter. Last time I saw her, she was weighing about 250 lbs. Doesn't matter how elite you were back in the day, doesn't mean you'll be elite over 60. It is about the will and capacity to train. Besides the mental part, there is of course some basic required capabilities, fast twitch, strength-to-weight ratio, etc...

      Delete
  3. Excellent run. Well done to stick with holding back a bit for the first 200m. Not an easy thing to do when the race is unfolding around you. That time!!!

    ReplyDelete