Saturday, July 22, 2023

2023 USATF Masters Outdoor National Championships - Day 3

Great conditions today, not real hot, only low to mid 80ºs, variably cloudy, tail wind for the 200m.  Today was the 200m semis and our Club 4x100m relay.   Kind of a hard day because I had to go to the track twice and go through a full warmup each time.   

The M60 200m event had a big turnout.  Four semi-final heats, more than any other age group.  My heat was somewhat of a mystery.  A lot of guys I hadn't seen before, one from Trinidad.  I thought they might be fast.  They weren't.  In fact all of the guys that I thought would be the top contenders, James, Ron, Don, Rob - all bowed out due to fatigue or injury.  

I ran a decent race, came out with guns blazing and took an immediate lead out of the blocks and by the top of the stretch, had at least 3 or 4 steps on everyone.  Never saw anyone from that point on.  I won by more than a second in 26.07.   That time presently sits at #10 in world and #2 in US.   I really wanted to run 25 today, hopefully tomorrow.  I could have relaxed a bit more toward the end and strided out a bit.  But overall, it was ok.  My first 100m might have been as fast as 12.5, got a decent start.

Watch the race here:  https://youtu.be/kPzUgfxB4-c
























So, it turns out the M60 200m has the opposite problem of the 400m.  Not a real competitive final tomorrow.   Marcus ran the second fastest semi in 26.85 and he will be staggered ahead of me tomorrow in the final me in 4 him in 5.  Unless someone incredibly over performs tomorrow, and I grossly underperform or get injured, it's my race to lose.  

I really just want to break 26.   That's all.  The 200m is always tough because it comes at the end of the meet and this year, if I win, it will be somewhat if not largely, by attrition.

To make matters worse, I had to go back to the track at the end of the day, warmup again, practice handoffs with my team, and run the 4x100m club relay.

I told them I would do just enough to win.  I did NOT want to get injured and blow my excellent chance for a national title in the 200m tomorrow.  But I found myself facing many-time world 100m champion Val B. on anchor with SoCal club.  

My team got me the stick with a step lead over Val, Ray gave me a good pass, and I held him off all the way down the stretch, winning by 0.15.   Close one, exciting, and best of all... no injuries.  My track club Greater Philly is on the verge of our first men's team win at Nationals.  Happy to contribute.  





No comments:

Post a Comment