Saturday, October 13, 2018

Off season break - boating/hiking/biking

I've done nothing in terms of training for 2 weeks.  However, I did a serious hike in the Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park last Sat. Oct 6.  Serious, not in length but in steepness.  The Lost Cove Trail from Eagle Creek ascends 2400' in about 3 miles from Fontana Lake to the Appalachian Trail then to Shuckstack firetower.  I've hiked this trail several times but this time it seemed harder due to foot fatigue that I'm not quite recovered from after a long track season.   Comparing distance and elevation gain, this trail is about as long as Sewanee's Roark's Cove Rd., but ascends 2.5 times the elevation.  The last 2 miles is like walking up a stair case.  I found it difficult on the knees walking down as well.  The trail is also challenging due to a dozen water crossings.  It is best accessible by boat.  The view from the tower at Shuckstack is the best in the Park.  The total hike was only about 8 miles.

I hadn't used my boat in a year and had some problems with the carburetor, but made it back after an emergency repair of the gas line (duct tape).   After installing a new fuel line, it ran perfectly yesterday in test run.  Going to do a river trip today to Chattanooga.  Taking my bike to get around town.  Much cooler past few days, only in the 60s.

I'm scheduled to race on Friday in Chattanooga and if I do, I'll probably just run the 400m as it would be risky for my to run a short sprint due to my 2 weeks off the track.  I may cancel if my slight chest cold gets worse.  Not expecting to run fast but maybe I can still break 60, probably not.  I plan to start back on the track on Monday with a few 800s.  Still a reasonable weight, 146.5 - 148.
















No comments:

Post a Comment