Saturday, November 16, 2013

tempo endurance 500s

Increasing the difficulty, I did tempo endurance 500s with 2 min rest, and then some.   Sewanee was sleepy and foggy this Sat. morning, about 55ª.   I wanted to 'one up' the tempo workout today.  The options are to decrease rest, increase distance or reps.  I opted for distance.   This means I'm running slower, about 600m pace, but running longer.  The result is a closer run to rest ratio, closer to 1:1.
Saucony Virrata trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 500m w/ 2 min rest - 92, 93, 96, 97 
Saucony Showdown spikes on 
3 x 200m - 27, 27, 27
I took it easy on the first 2 500s, a distance I can easily run in 80 sec, saving myself for the last 2 and wanting to complete the workout.  Although the last 2 were slower, they were much harder.  It was hard but no harder than the 4 x 400s at a little faster pace.

I had some left in the tank so I donned the spikes and ran 200s at about 400m race pace, focusing on form.  This, with yesterdays resistance work on my glutes and quads, left me pretty toasted.  I needed to burn some calories with the rich food I'd been eating.   141.4 lbs  after workout and feeling a bit less soft.

I've racked up some good sprint mileage these last 3 workouts.  Will probably hit the weights tomorrow.

Gettin' it done in Sewanee

2 comments:

  1. slow bring rest time on this workout down to 90 seconds (over three or four weeks)..and enjoy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. 200 times were very good!!!

    ReplyDelete