Monday, June 4, 2012

Painful 500s

Got to the track late...  started the workout near the end of twilight.  Waiting over an hour for 'the call that never came' ... it was ok, I wanted to see what a night workout would feel like anyway.   Wasn't that much cooler than it was at sunset, about 78º at 9 pm.   I found there is ample light for night workouts once the eyes adjust.  However, I did trip slightly over some starting blocks while gazing at the large red rising moon.

It felt hard, probably since my lack of similar workouts recently, some added body weight, and some 'party fatigue.'   However, despite all that, I 'one-upped' myself: this was my fastest 4 x 500m workout.   Probably because I took so much recovery before the final one.  I really was going to quit after 3, but I rested 14 min, did some blocks, and then ran my 4th 500m.

600m warmup on grass, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
4 x 500m - 80.5, 82.5, 84.5, 83.5 
82.75 average
That beats my previous best of 83.125 avg for 4 x 500m.  (So much for the sophomoric 'self one-upsmanship').

It occurs to me that I've been able to maintain 5 track workouts in these past 7 days, which has been amazing considering what has been going on.

I think I'll do alternating hard and easy day.   Resistance, speed, and technique on the easy days;  long sprint repeats on the hard days.

Inventory:
Glad to see the knee pain go away.  Legs feel good.   Weight is getting there: 141.6 after workout.

Now that the college season is over, many states are having their open and masters state meets.   Peter Taylor predicted a huge turnout this year at the Nationals because there is no World Masters Championship or National Senior Games this year.

This is like the beginning of a second outdoor season... I may run 3 meets in a row beginning Sunday.

Long season!



1 comment:

  1. "Waiting over an hour for 'the call that never came' ... it was ok, I wanted to see what a night workout would feel like anyway."

    Very sorry! Got distracted.....forgive me.

    ReplyDelete