Saturday, January 21, 2012

No gain

Disappointingly, I ran about the same times as I did last week, only a few hundredths slower. This may be a turning point. I think I may quit the 400m. Whatever I had in the 400m, I don't have it now, and I doubt I can get it. I'm discouraged. This means I may not want to run the 4x400 in the Penn Relays. They do, however, have a 4x100. I just don't know at this point.

I was shaky, nervous and apprehensive before the 400m. I don't know where that stress was coming from. I had outside lane (in both the 400 and 200). After 2 guys blew by me on the first turn I think I may have stepped it up too fast because I rigged up in the last 80m ... again. I was about even with one guy at the break who ended up beating me by 3.5 sec. My official time was listed as "59.00" which left me wondering if it was just an estimate since I was so far behind the pack ... and '.00 flat second' numbers are rare in races. I knew I'd be at least in the 58s by the meet clock. It was a taxing effort. I felt like I gave it everything. It was .07 slower than last week. I felt totally spent. This race is no fun!

I thought I should scratch from the 200m because I was feeling so shitty, but I ran it anyway. 26.22 - .06 slower than last week. I felt a little tieing up near the end. I'm thinking I could run it considerably faster if fresh.

I did receive a lot of encouragement and almost feel like an MTSU team member. I'm getting to know the guys and ladies on the team, and no matter what I do, they always give me the thumbs up. Just wish I could run the times I did last June. I really am lacking in confidence and self respect a this point. I finished last in both events.

Moving forward

Next meet on 1/29, I'm going to do the 55m and the 200m. These races are FUN... and that's why I'm doing this. I'm going to adjust my training for more speed and power. I'd like to take starts with the team but I'd need to reschedule a student then rush back to teach my class.

Inventory

My shoulder hurts. It's painful to even lift a coffee mug, but the more I move it the better it feels. I'm happy to say that I have no lower body issues including abs, legs, etc... and that is really a win in and of itself. My weight is excellent: 138.0 after the meet.

I'll endeavor to persevere.

3 comments:

  1. Your piece says "NO GAIN".... BS... every time you put on those training tugs and head out to the track and every time you read the label on a food product to assure your eating healthy, your 'gaining' measurably!! Keep on keeping on .... d

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you mention... Run what's Fun!!. That's why I stopped running 50K's and am stuck on the 5K-10K for now. For me they are more fun than running/training for 25-30 mile races. Would like to get to the 200/400M as I've previously mentioned, but too heavy and probably need another year of training. I'm curious about the National Senior Games-any idea how many Men acutally show up for the 200 or 400 events??

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.nsga.com/files/Results%20Book2011.pdf

    As you can see, pretty competitive meet. A lot of the usual suspects show up... like Oscar Peyton, George Haywood, etc... maybe a shade less competitive than the Masters Nationals

    ReplyDelete