Thursday, January 26, 2012

Indoor workout: blocks and long sprints


Dipped into the starting blocks rack today on this rainy day. Was hoping to do a significant speed workout outside today but it doesn't look like the rain will be letting up before I work 2-6pm, and there is an ESPN covered basketball game at the Murphy Center tonight. But ! ... I just had my 3 pm student cancel so, I can squeeze a brief workout in, 3-4:00 pm. I wanted to run hard today so I have 2 days recovery before Sunday's meet at TSU - where yes ... I am signed up to run 3 events in this order: the 55m, 400m, and 200m.

I forgot my watch so I ran some long sprints and some full power starts.

1200m warmup, stretches, drills

Spira training shoes on

2 x 300m - untimed, 70% increasing to 90% effort at the end.

Adidas spikes on

50m striders

5 starts from blocks - 2 full out accelerating to near max.

200m - 80-90%

Spira training shoes on

300m - 80%

The 300s put me into that familiar pain zone so that I could practice my form while fatigued. That is the biggest thing I learned today. I MUST practice form while at the fatigue point if I'm ever going to run a decent 400. My brain works best in athletics if I don't think too much but remember some basic concepts. Relax, stride, open hands, pump arms, high knees, in line ... this will be my mantra for the end of the 400m.

The block starts were good, no strain. I am a bit leary of the 55m. It is a risky race for injury but I feel ok and did a good high rep explosive resistance workout of quads and hams last night that left me a tinge sore today. I credit these exercises for bringing me back last season from the ham and keeping me from reinjury. Every 55m I raced last season, I felt soreness and strain afterward. Now, I have a much better warmup routine that I adopted in April and am better prepared. I would like to run under 7.5 this weekend, which is competitive for my age group. Last year I ran 7.74, 7.60, 7.52, and 7.43. I think I'm good to go for the 55m.

Doing a triple is not problem except that the 200 always suffers. I ran my PR 400m after running a 100m race at SE Masters, so hopefully the 55 will help.

Also, I bought a GymBoss programmable beeping interval timer. It was recommended for 400m 'event runs' - to help train myself to run more precise splits. So... I haven't given up on the 400.

Today, at the Murphy Center, every one of the MTSU sprinters came up to me and said hello, many shook my hand. They are really very polite and encouraging.

Inventory:
Weight is 137.4 lb before dinner. A little sore but OK. The hardness of the Murphy Center track is what I think caused my knee to feel sore. That is why I will not do lengthy workouts there in spikes. Better in training shoes. Knees is better today, as is my shoulder. Shoulder not 100% but good to go for Sunday.

Since I just got this Gymboss timer, I may do a speed workout tomorrow on the outdoor track. Probably just 2 or 3 300s.

3 comments:

  1. Your Mom is 70 today and looks like she could be your older sister and me.... your older brother. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post, Really Interested & you gave me Good info about workouts for sprinters .

    ReplyDelete