Sunday, October 8, 2017

Masters Awards point system




I don't know if this is new or if this has been up on the USATF website for a while, but apparently there is a point system that determines USATF Masters Athlete of the Year Awards.  Perhaps, if one of the elder statesmen of USATF Masters can enlighten me, (Peter?) please chime in.

Here is the point system.  Age group masters awards are given in 10 yr increments, 50-59, etc...
Point Scoring System:
10 pts = World Record
8 pts = American Record
6 pts = WMA Championship Gold Medal
5 pts = National Gold Medal
4 pts= WMA Championships Silver Medal
3 pts= WMA Championships Bronze Medal
It also states, "Age Groups: (number selected is based on 3% of those who participated in the age group at both the National Masters Indoor & Outdoor Championships) ... Various criteria are used to evaluate nominees. One of these is the following Point Scoring System."

Not sure what the "3%" means or even more vague is the "various criteria" statement.  What are the "various criteria?"  

Apparently the system isn't so cut n dry... and some people get overlooked.  For example, Dave S. won 3 National titles in '14 (M60 - 400m, 800m, 1500m) and did not receive the award.  Perhaps this was before the point system?  Or this was because he was a newcomer and no one nominated him?  Also, someone won this award last yr with one World title and one National title which was run uncontested (the only entry at Nationals in the event age group).  It's not uncommon to see just one entry in some of the hurdle events in the older age groups (especially among women).

Anyway, I do remember Mary H. at the awards banquet in Baton Rouge saying the NCCWMA would count as a qualifying meet for this award.   So, this was an unusual year in that there were four meets to accumulate points.  I know it would take some work, but it would be feasible to generate a spread sheet of all the points won at these competitions by the various athletes.

Good year

Despite my end of the year frustrations at Nationals and NCCWMA, it was my best season if you consider my point totals:
5 - USATF Indoor Championship (400m) Gold
6 - Daegu World Championship (200m) Gold
4 - Daegu World Championship (400m) Silver
6 - NCCWMA Championship (400m) Gold
21 - total
I'm assuming NCCWMA counts as a 'world meet'?   Even if I eliminate the NCCWMA points, that would be 15 points for the indoor season alone.  (Also, I know it doesn't count, but I got 2 silvers at Nationals, one indoor - 200m, and one outdoor - 400m).

Last time I got the award in '15, I had just 11 points (Nat'l 400m, 2 World Bronze).  By the time I got to Perth, I had 10 points and if I hadn't fallen at the finish, I would have totaled 13.

Not many people participated in all four meets.  As far as the 50-59 age group is concerned, I think M50 Karnell had the most points (4 National outdoor titles, 3 NCCWMA) 38 points.   Don had 28  (4 National titles -indoor and outdoor, and 2 Silvers at NCCWMA.   I think Rob T. had 18, all indoor.  So, not sure about field events, but I might have made the top 5 in my 50-59 age group, more likely in the track events.

Anyway, so this season wasn't such a bust.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, I haven't been on this site for a while, but on seeing your reference to me I will provide you with two brief answers:

    1. Awards are by 10-year age groups, but we select different numbers for the age groups based on the "3% system." For example, if 200 people in a 10-year age group competed at indoors or outdoors we give an award to 6 people.

    2. Yes, there is a point system, but we were free to ignore it. After all, we know that some people pick up a lot of points by entering many events. Personally, when I'm voting I look for the top-level performers and totally ignore the points, which is completely permissible. I am looking for people at the Bill Collins/Kathy Bergen level, and I don't know even now how many points those two rang up.

    One other thing to consider is that some age groups are absolutely loaded with talent -- 50-59 comes to mind.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Various criteria" means things like winning at worlds and setting American or world records during the year. Note also that there are very few people given awards in the 10-year age groups, and big stars like Joy Upshaw, Latrica Dendy, Carol Finsrud, etc., etc. had to be given strong consideration. In other words, we combined the men and women and gave out just a small number of awards overall.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete