Thursday, April 24, 2014

Light workout... 400, 300, starts

I'm in the Bellarmine Invitational.  I couldn't believe the heat sheets... 4 heats of the 400m, no more than 7 in each heat (on the 9 lane track), and only one person out of 25 in the event gets lane one.   ME.   I'm not even in the slowest heat, I'm in heat 3 of 4, and the slowest heat has 4 guys - running lanes 3-6.  Heats 1 and 2 use lanes 2-8, so why does my heat use lanes 1-7??  WTF ??   I really don't mind lane 8 for the 200m, but I really hate lane one for the 400m.  Honestly, I really don't think I've ever raced from lane one in a 400m.  200 yes, but not a 400.   Well, it's still 400m.   They could have put me in lane 7 or 2 of the slow heat, but I think my seed times may have been faster than those guys.  I asked John W. (3k steeple), who is also running unattached there about this lane assignment, he said, "I can't close to come to a theory on that one."

Funny, because today I decided to train in lanes 6 and 7 to get used to running on the outside.  Did a negative split 400m and a faster 300m out of blocks.  Nice and cool, 50ºs on the Dean Hayes Track this morning but sunny and warming rapidly.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
Puma spikes on 
400m - 60.5 (31/29.5) 
300m - 41.5 
blocks starts
Everything feels ok.   I should be good to go and run the rail.  At least I'll see other runners and have good reference points.

I finally got a quality beam balance scale.  It seems pretty accurate, as I've compared it to two other institutional scales.  I think I've been under reporting my weight by about 1 to 2 lbs.   Like traditional physicians scales, this reads only to the 1/4 lb.   Today, I was 142.25 after workout.

I took some video on my 300m run coming off the first turn, running at about a 13.5 100m pace, or near 400m race pace.  Trying to learn something about my stride.  I noticed some tightness in the neck.  I actually seemed to have strained something in my throat when coming out of blocks.

Here is one step in sequence  - 100m mark of a 300m.










No comments:

Post a Comment