Thursday, March 6, 2014

tempo 300s

It's winter still... 35º when I got to the Dean Hayes track for my last cold weather workout before nationals.  It was hard and glad to get it done.  Stretches in the heated mens room again.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
5 x 300m w/ 2 min rest - 47.5, 48.5, 49, 50, 48.5
A tad faster than the temp 400s where I'm running at 17 sec 100m pace (68 sec 400m).   I tried to keep a 16 sec 100m pace for the 300s or 48.   Stayed pretty consistent but had to dig deep to get that last one in on time with 2 min rest, which seemed impossibly short by #5.  Suffered.

Inventory
A little achy but ok.  All the usual stuff and a slight shin split, probably from the St. Andrews track.   Definitely at race weight.  141.6 after workout, and eating carbs.

Nationals
Looking at the heats of the 400m, looks like I likely will not be in the fastest heat which means a better lane and better overall time, and less chance of interference.  The USATF rules state that lane one will not be used for multiple heats and with 15 signed up, likely 3 heats of 5 so I should get a good lane in heat 2.  Best lanes for banked tracks are outside lanes because you start by running downhill and also run downhill toward the break in the 400m and downhill toward the finish in the 200m.



I may run some relays with the Phily track club if I survive the 60m with no strains.


No comments:

Post a Comment