Thursday, March 20, 2014

300s/200s

It feels like it's been a while since I  hit the track for training, actually it's been more than a week.   Perfect day for it, 50º and sunny at the Dean Hayes track.  Not looking forward to warmer weather.

Still a bit sore and tight in the hams, but ok.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on 
2 x 300m w/ 2min rest - 44, 45.5 
2 x 200m -28ish
My Gymboss timer's battery expired so I was unable to time the 200s, so I estimated the speed and worked on form.   The limited rest 300s gave me enough pain for the day.  I'm in pretty decent shape, 141.4 lbs after workout.

This weekend's meet looks to be a small DIII affair at Berea College, KY.   Seems like there is no fee for unattached, unless I'm missing something.   There is no "home meet info" link or schedule on the website.  I sent an inquiry email to the AD.  If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'll call the coach.   Doesn't seem well organized on first impression.  Last year, there were 16 guys running the 400m, 6 of 'em were over 56 sec;  20 guys running the 200m, 5 of 'em over 25 sec.   It doesn't get much less competitive than this on the college level.  Shoot, I could run in meets like this til I'm 60 and not finish last.

This also will (may) mark the debut of my girlfriend Roya as an M50 masters sprinter.   She is going to try the 100m (I hope).  She will have never used spikes of starting blocks until the day before the meet, when I get up there.  She is a natural athlete with lots of natural speed.  She never has really trained as a sprinter, in fact she has never gone to the track by herself or has run at all this week.   This is an excellent place to debut...  last year there were 15 women racing, two were 15+ sec.   I estimate Roya could break 16 easily.  Fortunately, we wear almost the same size shoe and I have some Asics that are too small for me.

I was happy to find a source for spike risers, the place I contacted sent me a bunch for free!  I'm set for the season.

Going to do some light prehab resistance and ab work tonight.   I credit the resistance bands, particularly the quad/hip flexor work that helped me ward off any strains with all that racing in Boston... because I definitely felt a strain in training the week prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment